Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Trash to treasure

I am re~visting this blog post today from September and I am linking up with  
The Lettered Cottage for Favorites of 2009
This was my favorite project of 2009


Even now at the end of December I use this container daily and it is holding up great!




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now here is the original post


Bought some cream puffs and eclairs for a dinner we went to the other night
I could not bear to toss the containers in the recycle bin
They are a heavy plastic with a nice fitting lid


I decided to make a box for each of us for those things that you don't use too often but still take up space and end up getting lost if not put away properly
Things for the bathroom... like nail clippers and lens cloths and foot soak and shoe shine stuff and ...



I covered the label with gray scrapbook paper and cut trim from black grosgrain ribbon to trim the sides where the paper shows
I glued the paper and the ribbon (I also heat sealed the ribbon edge)
I then trimmed out the side where the expiration date is on the box
(not sure why it looks bumpy in the pic... it actually is not)



So then with my cricut I cut vinyl lowercase letters
r for him
p for me
and attached them to the lid


Then I filled them with goodies


one for him and one for me!

They are going to look so cute on our linen closet shelf!

17 comments:

  1. SO cute! I am the same way, hate to throw away anything that good, that you think you could use!

    Take care,
    Alyshia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a great recycling idea! So cute. you would never know what they used to be!
    pk @ room remix

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great excuse to go buy some eclairs!!!

    blessings
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks cute and it's a great excuse to buy some more eclairs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute idea! And a perfect excuse for me to pick up some eclairs next time I'm out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous idea to "upcycle" a container! Like Kara, I'm grateful for the excuse to buy some cream puffs! thanks for linking up to Trash to treasure Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 2 boxes from the holidays...whoopeee!! I know what to do with them now!! Thank you!

    xoxo
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many times, I throw out an empty container and think..."I could have made something with that!" These are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great idea! i love to reuse things! and i love anything with a monogram!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect!
    Stopping over from The Lettered Cottage.
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic! They look great and are a really super idea for organizing all that pesky extra stuff. :)

    Also - your blog is really taking off! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. how beautiful...I'd love to have those in my closet!

    FYI...In case you didn't know, I started writing a new blog (out of desperation really) and thought you might like to check it out.

    www.sahmbiechronicles.blogspot.com

    Nite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute idea! I am hoping to get a cricut soon so I can play around.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me!
Thank You!~ Patricia